Manchester 0161 877 5555

Birmingham 0121 504 0966

Manchester 0161 877 5555

Birmingham 0121 504 0966

Removal company Manchester, removal company Birmingham

UK, European & International Removals & Storage

Learn about our partnership with Prevent Breast Cancer (formerly Genesis) charity  Britannia Bradshaw International Removals & Storage supports Prevent Breast Cancer (formerly Genesis) charity

Emigrate to the United States of America

Emigrate to America - Visa Information

The decision to move to the United States of America is not one to be taken lightly; it is a big move to an even bigger country. Equally, there are a tremendous number of visa types for temporary and permanent residence in the US. We've outlined a few of these visas below in simplified format, and this list is by no means exhaustive.

This should not be considered emigration or visa advice, and visa information can change quickly. For professional advice and the most up-to-date information, we strongly suggest that you contact the United States Department of State or the Embassy of the United States in London for up-to-date and thorough information on visas.

Non-immigrant Visas - Student & Employment Based

There are many types of non-immigrant visas, including visas for visitors to the United States. Below are some of the more popular non-immigrant non-tourist visas:

Student Visas

  • Academic (F-1) Visa
    For students wishing to attend a university or other academic institution in the United States, including primary and secondary schools, or a language training program
  • Non-academic (M-1) Visa
    For those wishing to attend an established vocational or other recognized non-academic institution

Other non-immigrant temporary visas

These visas are applied for by the employer, not the immigrant.

  • Religious Worker Visa (R-1) Visa
    For members of the clergy and lay religious workers who are members of legitimate religious organizations
  • Intra-Company Transfer (L-1) Visa
    For employees of international companies who are being temporarily transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same company in the US, to qualify you must be at the managerial or executive level, or have specialized knowledge
  • H-1B (specialty occupation) Visa
    For an employee who is going to the United States to perform services in a pre-arranged professional job, to qualify you must have a bachelor’s or higher degree (or equivalent) in the field of work
  • H-2B (skilled and unskilled worker) Visa
    For people wishing to perform a job which is temporary or seasonal in nature and where there is a shortage of US workers
  • H-3 (trainee) Visa
    For a trainee who is going to the US to receive training from an employer in any field, other than graduate education or training and the training cannot be used to provide productive employment and cannot be available in the applicant's home country

Immigrant Visas

An immigrant visa is required of anyone who wishes to enter the United States to live there permanently, whether or you plan to seek employment. These visas can lead to a green card.

All Immigrant Visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination and vaccinations before the visa can be issued. The medical examination consists of a chest X-ray and blood test (including testing for sexually transmitted disease).

  • Fiancé(e) (K-1) Visa
    A fiancé(e) of an American citizen travelling to the USA to marry and take up indefinite residence after marriage - the marriage must take place within 90 days of the visa holder's entrance into the country
  • Non-immigrant (K-3 and K-4) Visas
    For spouses of American citizens and their children under the age of 21 where an immigrant visa petition (Form I-130) has been filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, allowing the holder to travel to the USA to await approval of their immigrant visa petition
  • Immediate Relative Visa
    For the spouse, parent, step-parent, child and/or step-child under the age of 21, of an American citizen and the spouse of a deceased US citizen

The Diversity Visa program (DV-2014)

This is an annual programme commonly known as the Green Card Lottery, where 55,000 immigrant visas are selected randomly and issued to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the US. Eligibility to apply for this programme is determined by a person's place of birth, not citizenship and you must apply to win. Note that for the 2014 Lottery, people born in the United Kingdom - except Northern Ireland - are ineligible to apply.

How can we help with your removal to America?

Britannia Bradshaw can help your move to America go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote or call 0161 877 5555 (Manchester), 0121 504 0966 (Birmingham) and speak with an international specialist.

Ultimate Guide to Moving to California & West Coast USA - Britannia Movers

Ultimate Guide to Moving to California & West Coast USA - Britannia Movers

The ultimate guide to moving to California and the West Coast of the United States of America from Britannia Movers

Get your free removal quote!

We'll call you back to discuss how your move can be as stress-free as possible

Please provide your name
Please provide your telephone number
Please provide the town or postcode (partial is OK) you're moving from
Please provide the town, postcode (partial is OK) or country you're moving to
Please provide an approximate date for your move

We respect your privacy and won't share your information with third parties