5-6 weeks before your move
- Think about the exact date you want to move
- Start planning your move
- Decide what you want to take with you to your new home and what you are leaving behind - a floor plan of your new home may help you decide
- You might need furniture for your new home, start looking at ordering anything you need now as lead times for many pieces of new furniture can be lengthy
- If you think you'll need extra storage space, book it now
- Decide if you are packing yourself or ordering a packing service and plan accordingly
- Start researching your new area or the country you are moving to. If you familiarise yourself with the local community or the new culture ahead of time, the move will be much smoother
3-4 weeks before your move
- Confirm the date of the move with us
- Arrange childcare for the moving day – Moving with children can be stressful, but there are ways to manage the impact on them. Although older children may well want to be involved in your move, and even help you pack and organise some things, you may decide that it will be less stressful for younger children if you arrange for them to go to relatives or friends on the moving day.
- Make arrangements for moving your pets – Moving can be very disruptive for pets so you may want to also ask your vet for specialist advice on taking care of your animals during the move
- Take a full inventory and start sorting out your belongings
- Clear out unwanted belongings – Planning a fresh start in your new home is an ideal time to clear out any unwanted belongings. You can give these items to friends and family, give them away with Freecycle, or hold a garage sale. Local charity shops will also welcome smaller items such as books, ornaments, some furniture or clothing.
- Get the essential moving supplies.
- Start packing items you don't use very often
- Start using up the contents of your freezer
2 weeks before your move
- Notify your essential service providers, banks, and any other financial institutions about your move
- You will need to arrange for water, gas and electricity meter readings on the day of your move - make sure that all services are scheduled to be connected in your new home the day you move in
- Have your telephone number transferred or changed
- Arrange for broadband in your new home
- Arrange for your post to be redirected – Contact Royal Mail if you want to have your post redirected
- Organise the disconnection and reconnection of domestic appliances, such as your washing machine, cooker, and gas fires
- Plan the moving day in detail
- Decide how you are going to transport your valuable items, such as jewellery, money, antiques, and plants
- Finalise everything with us - confirm arrival dates, addresses, and think about parking facilities for the removal van
1 week before your move
- Finish packing all non-essential items and clean the house thoroughly
- Check attic, garage, and basement for items you might have forgotten
- Put all important documents in one box or bag which you will move yourself – this should include passports, driving licences, wills, birth certificates, insurance papers, cash and jewellery
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezer
- Cancel any regular deliveries you have to your present home, like milk or newspapers
The day before you move
- If you have ordered our professional packing service, you have to prepare some things to make the packing as fast as possible – You can usually leave drawers and trunks with their contents intact, provided there are no breakable items inside. If you do this, however, it is your responsibility to point out to the crew any drawers, wardrobes, cupboards, and other containers that have ‘out of sight’ items within.
- Liquids, oils and paints must be placed into sealed containers. We cannot transport inflammable material, so dispose of these safely
- Empty all bins; it is your responsibility to ensure that all bins are emptied of contents. Our removal crew can't carry any type of receptacle containing refuse. This is particularly important when your goods are due to go into storage for a period of time.
- Put together a 'do not remove pile' – Essential things that you do not want us to remove, such as snacks, handbags, or cleaning materials. Some people put everything into their bathtub and tell the removals crew not to pack anything in their bathtub. Wherever you put it, just be sure to let the guys know on the day what isn't to be packed!
You can now leave the hard work to us, but there are a few essential things you will need to take care of:
- Be present when the movers arrive and answer their questions when necessary
- Check the condition of your belongings as they are being loaded
- Perform final checks before leaving your home – Make sure that meter readings are taken, that water and power supply are turned off, and that doors and windows are closed
- Make sure that you are not leaving anything behind - walk around your property, ideally with the foreman of our removal crew, to check that nothing has been overlooked
- Drop keys at the estate agents if you need to
- Pick up the keys for your new home, if you don't already have them
- Make sure that you have exchanged contact numbers with our removal team, and arrange a time to meet them at your new home
- When you walk into your new home, don't start unpacking right away. Give yourself some time to enjoy your new home, sit down and relax. The most stressful part of the move is over. Only start unpacking when you feel relaxed and energetic.
- If you have requested an unpacking service, please assist the crew to ensure that items are placed in the appropriate rooms. You will need to place items such as clothes into wardrobes and cupboards.
- Our removal crew will remove the majority of debris from packing materials, however if there is any left behind or you have asked to complete the unpacking yourself, please contact us via the number on side of the box and we will arrange for a convenient day to collect the materials so they can be recycled
Removal quote appointment booking service
Britannia Bradshaw can help your move go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, or by calling 0161 877 5555 (Manchester) or 0121 504 0966 (Birmingham & Coventry) and speak with one of our removals specialists.
How are our appointments carried out
In the current times you might prefer that we don't visit your house in person to carry out a survey. This is fully understandable and we can just as easily undertake the survey by video call, using whatever method you're comfortable with, usually FaceTime or WhatsApp.
See what our customers think of us...
Very pleased with the removal services
We have been very pleased with the removal services we have received from Bradshaw International. From the quotation through to the removal day itself, everyone was very efficient and helpful.
Our team of Mike & Ryan battled through snow and road closures to deliver our furniture and were still in a cheerful mood when they eventually arrived. Big thanks to them. The whole team made the experience has been as good as it good be & we'd highly recommend you as a company.Janet & Martin ClarkeManchester
We knew our items were safe in their hands
Sorry cannot remember names, but they were all really helpful, and very understanding. Considering the difficulties we had regarding completing on the day, we knew our items were safe in their hands. I honestly do not think you need to make any improvements, all concerned are a credit to the company.
We had three quotes and we found this one to be the most professional. As the move did not take place on the moving day we asked for our items to be put into storage. Jacki in the office was really helpful and understanding during this difficult time.
Made an appointment over the phone for a quote. No hassle appointment was made for a few days later and everything was explained to us what would happen on the day especially during Covid restrictions.Robert LoweBirmingham
We are so pleased we chose your company
I just want to say a massive thank you to Sonic and team for moving us out of our home last week Sunday and Monday.
What amazing guys they were, nothing was too much trouble, they worked so hard and methodically. They are an absolute credit to your company so I just wanted you to know how much we appreciated them. Also before our decision we had 3 different removal companies down to compare and we are so pleased we chose your company.
I’d also like to thank their manager as Sonic and his team tried to get to our house on the Friday when it was ice and snow and the manager was able to rearrange for them to come on the Sunday to make a start which was very much appreciated.
The other person was your sales rep Diane Twigge who was absolutely excellent and extremely helpful, right on her game. Thank you again for all your wonderful staff that we had dealings with.Janet HallManchester
A perfect move
Martin and his team were absolutely amazing. They were so pleasant and polite throughout the day despite the snow and cold! They were so respectful and went out of their way to ensure that our move went as smoothly as possible. We couldn't have asked for more and would highly recommend. We felt that nothing could have been any better. Recommendation by a friend......a perfect move... Initial inquiry was very friendly and helpful.Liz RoundBirmingham
Complete the form below to get your UK Removals quotation
European Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your European Removals quotation
International Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your International Removals quotation
Call Me Back
Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss your requirements
Complete the form below to get your Self Storage quotation
UK Price Guide
Complete the form below to get a Price Guide sent to you
Please note: Our Price Guide tool is intended for moves within the UK Mainland only. If you're moving to or from the UK mainland please speak to one of our friendly team who will be able to provide you with a bespoke quote.