Moving home with pets
Moving can be stressful and there are many things to plan, prepare for and consider. In the hustle and bustle that comes with moving day, don't forget about your pets and what they may need. Remember, they feel stress differently than we do, and may react unexpectedly.
Keep your pets safe. If at all possible, try to remove your pet from your home on moving day. If you can, leave them with a friend, relative or even a cattery/kennel or your vet. This helps them because they're away from the stress, noise and movement of your home on moving day. If you can't leave them elsewhere, put them in a room where there's nothing to be moved, and tell everyone involved with your move and in the house not to open the door to this room. Ideally, put a sign on the door and, if you can, lock it.
Keep it stress-free
Moving can be a stressful event for humans, but pets tend to become very stressed when it comes to moving day.
Ideally, have your pet stay with a friend or relative during the removals process. If you can't, consider booking them into a kennel or cattery for the night. A last resort is to close them into a quiet room with the windows shut, and mark the door clearly with signs indicating pets are inside, do not open.
Have a tag made with your new contact information to be put on their collar on moving day. Make sure your pets are microchipped, and don't forget to update the details on their chip as soon as you move.
Pack your pet's toys, bedding and other equipment at the last moment so that they are comforted by the presence of familiar things. Also, don't wash pet bedding until a couple of weeks after the move, so that they will have something familiar smelling in the new house.
Chance to adjust
Cats should always be transported in a safe container to ensure they don't escape and get lost either at your old home or your new home.
If your cat normally goes outside, keep them indoors for two to three weeks in your new home, to give them a chance to adjust to the new environment and so they don't try to return to your old house.
After the move take your dog for a walk straight away. Help your dog to become well-known in your new neighbourhood and let it smell around and mark its territory.
Fish are particularly sensitive to changes in their environment and stress easily. Make sure you position the aquarium in a suitable spot in your new home before unpacking your fish.
No matter how smooth your move goes, it will feel like chaos to your pet. Some of our top tips for moving day:
- Remind the removals crew that you have pets when they arrive
- Tell the removals crew where your pets are located -and ask they can keep an eye out for any unexpected escapes
- Make sure your pets are in their designated place before the removals team arrives, as unfamiliar people may scare the pets
- Don't forget to put a bowl of water and some food in your pet's safe designated spot before the removals team arrives
- If you have cats, be sure to put a litter box in their safe designated spot before the crew arrives
- For dogs, it may be helpful to put puppy training pads down in their safe designated spot, in case they need to go when the team is in the house
- If possible, secure your pets in a safe spot inside your new home before the removals crew arrives at your old home
- You may want to consider keeping your pets inside a carrier or a cage in their secure spot during the move
- Talk to your vet about anxious pets, as they may be able to offer medication or advice to keep your pet calm during the moving process
- Update your pet's microchip information
- Make sure your mobile number is on any tags your pets wear, or write your mobile number on their collar in non-water-soluble ink
- Once in your new home, don't let your pets out without being on a leash
- In your new home, if your cats go outdoors, keep them inside for a few weeks until they know where home is and don't try to return to your old home
- Stay with your pet during their first look around your new home, to reassure them and to ensure they don't get into any dangerous spots or items
Removal quote appointment booking service
Britannia Bradshaw can help your move go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, or by calling 0161 877 5555 (Manchester) or 0121 504 0966 (Birmingham & Coventry) and speak with one of our removals specialists.
How are our appointments carried out
In the current times you might prefer that we don't visit your house in person to carry out a survey. This is fully understandable and we can just as easily undertake the survey by video call, using whatever method you're comfortable with, usually FaceTime or WhatsApp.
See what our customers think of us...
Reassuring, polite and extremely helpful
The crew were great. They were reassuring, polite and extremely helpful. Everyone involved was polite and very helpful.
Where can we improve? A final walk round with a member of the crew would have helped.
Why did you use us? The person who came to do the original consultation was very reassuring, polite and helpful.Philip CooperManchester
Britannia Bradshaw understood our requirements and the complexities of the move better than the other two firms who quoted
Very good, focused and hard working. Very thorough analysis and questions about which furniture and effects were moving. It was a three day removal - the crew were very helpful and polite - but seemed rather keen to be away on the third day. Just a hint they wanted to get ahead of the Friday traffic on the M1.
We received three quotes. We felt that Britannia Bradshaw understood our requirements and the complexities of the move better than the other two firms who quoted. We went with Britannia Bradshaw even though they were the most expensive.Gordan JusthamBirmingham
Recommended by a neighbour
They were amazing, please thank them for me.
Why did you use us? Recommended by a neighbour
Comments regarding your initial enquiry: Charlotte could not have been more helpful and pleasant.Gillian MawsonManchester
Supported us through the stress of moving our elderly mother
Spence and Dave were fantastic and supported us through the stress of moving our elderly mother from a large
house to a new flat. Both went out of their way to ensure the move was as smooth as could be and were sensitive
to her needs.
Why did you use us? RecommendationSylvia SteadmanBirmingham
Complete the form below to get your UK Removals quotation
European Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your European Removals quotation
International Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your International Removals quotation
Call Me Back
Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss your requirements
Complete the form below to get your Self Storage quotation
UK Price Guide
Complete the form below to get a Price Guide sent to you
Please note: Our Price Guide tool is intended for moves within the UK Mainland only. If you're moving to or from the UK mainland please speak to one of our friendly team who will be able to provide you with a bespoke quote.