Know before you go - moving overseas
Know your rights and responsibilities when you're moving to a new country. Living abroad is an exciting and interesting experience, but the decision to make the leap shouldn't be taken lightly.
We are partners in the Government's Know Before You Go campaign, helping you to know your rights and responsibilities when moving and living abroad.
Are you thinking of buying property abroad?
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has produced a very informative video with insights and some excellent advice on buying a property and living abroad. Before you make a move abroad, be sure to view it.
Familiarise yourself with your new destination before moving
- Understand the different laws, regulations, and customs abroad. What applied at home may be completely different in your new home.
- Don't forget to budget correctly to take into account currency fluctuations.
- Find out the health care coverage and system in your new home, so you're not hit with unexpected charges or worries and confusion in an emergency.
- Contact the local education authorities about the education system in your new home. Most countries also have English or international schools which you should be able to find on the internet.
- If you are considering buying property abroad, research thoroughly in advance. Keep in mind that property laws and customs in many countries are different from those in the UK and you may encounter problems with ownership rights due to these differences.
- Contact the Department for Work & Pensions for more information about collecting your pension abroad.
Call Us: Manchester: 0161 877 5555 Birmingham: 0121 504 0966 orGet an Estimate
When you arrive in your new country
- Register with the local authorities as soon as you arrive in your new country, if required. Failure to do so may be a crime in some countries, and registering may give you access to health care and welfare services.
- If you are moving within the EU and Switzerland, register for a residence permit within the first three months of your arrival. Failure to do so may be a crime in some countries, and registering will give you access to health care and welfare benefits.
- Register with the local Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in your new country.
- Keep your passport up-to-date, and include contact information for friends or relatives on the appropriate page.
- Contact your local Embassy/High Commission/Consulate for information on preparing a will, as laws vary from country to country.
- Check to see what you need to do to continue driving in your new country. In some cases, you can exchange your driving licence for a new one, however, in some countries you may need to sit a driving test before being allowed to drive.
- To vote in UK elections your name must appear on the electoral register as an overseas elector. Contact the local electoral registration officer at the local council where you were last registered in the UK.
Call Us: Manchester: 0161 877 5555 Birmingham: 0121 504 0966 orGet a Quote
Removal quote appointment booking service
Britannia Bradshaw can help your move go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, or by calling 0161 877 5555 (Manchester) or 0121 504 0966 (Birmingham & Coventry) and speak with one of our removals specialists.
How are our appointments carried out
In the current times you might prefer that we don't visit your house in person to carry out a survey. This is fully understandable and we can just as easily undertake the survey by video call, using whatever method you're comfortable with, usually FaceTime or WhatsApp.
See what our customers think of us...
Blew away all expectations
Blew away all expectations. They were thoughtful, helpful, hard working and provided a service above and beyond
what was expected. Dan, Rob and Gareth did a phenomenal job.
Why did you use us? Being very honest it was because they offered a fair price for the day we ended up moving on.
Do you have any additional comments or concerns regarding any portion of the service you received? As mentioned to Charlotte on the phone (who has also been exceptionally helpful every time we’ve called), we have some scuffs to the wall of the stairway. That’s no reflection of the crew at all - they handled everything very delicately, just was probably always going to happen pushing that much furniture and boxes up the stairs.
Comments regarding your initial enquiry: Perfect service and incredibly helpful.Sam StoneManchester
All very professional and helpful
All very professional and helpful.
Why did you use us? Reputation and having seen the trucks around.
Comments regarding your initial enquiry: All went wellRob LintonBirmingham
Helpful. Diligent. Polite.
Do you have any comments about our removals crew? Brilliant. Asked questions. Helpful. Diligent. Polite.
Why did you use us? Reputation
Do you have any additional comments or concerns regarding any portion of the service you received? Price could be more flexible reflecting size of van.
Comments regarding your initial enquiry: Video call. Quick and painless.Chris DormerManchester
All extremely cheerful and accommodating
Rhys, Ade and Jamie worked very well and were all extremely cheerful and accommodating. Everything went well, all questions answered.
Why did you use us? Most reasonable quote and availability.
Do you have any additional comments or concerns regarding any portion of the service you received? It was unfortunate that a light fitting in the hall was broken whilst moving an item of furniture into the new address. Being one of a pair may make it more difficult to replace. Apart from that everything went smoothly and efficiently.Martin WilliamsBirmingham
Complete the form below to get your UK Removals quotation
European Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your European Removals quotation
International Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your International Removals quotation
Call Me Back
Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss your requirements
Complete the form below to get your Self Storage quotation
UK Price Guide
Complete the form below to get a Price Guide sent to you
Please note: Our Price Guide tool is intended for moves within the UK Mainland only. If you're moving to or from the UK mainland please speak to one of our friendly team who will be able to provide you with a bespoke quote.
Call Us: Manchester: 0161 877 5555 Birmingham: 0121 504 0966 orLet Us Call You Back