Moving Home in Winter
Moving can be stressful enough without the added stress of ice and snow. While winter is a challenging time to move home, a professional removals company is experienced and prepared to safely perform your removal in the cold, snow and ice. Our tips can help you have a smooth removal in the winter.
Britannia Bradshaw are used to performing removals in tough conditions, such as the snowy mountains of Switzerland, Germany and France. We have the knowledge and experience to help you with your winter house removal in the UK or Europe.
Call Us: Manchester: 0161 877 5555 Birmingham: 0121 504 0966 orCall Me Back
Tips for a successful house removal in winter
- Make sure the removals truck has safe access to both your old and new home, especially if your home is on an unadopted road or a hill. Remember that the truck will need a wider path than a car, and space to turn around.
- At both your new and old home, clean any snow, slush or ice from the steps of your house and all walkways to where the van is parked. Grit or salt any icy areas, including those prone to developing ice.
- Have salt / grit and shovels on hand and easily accessible in case the weather changes.
- Make sure your removals company has floor coverings to protect the floors and carpeting in both your old and new home. Professional removals companies such as Britannia Bradshaw will come prepared, but it is always best to confirm this with your removals firm.
- Make sure the heat and electric is switched on at your new home.
- Ensure that you have outside lighting at your new home, as the days are shorter in the winter, especially if your removal is taking place after midday.
- Have your inside lighting working at both your old and new home, as winter days are generally darker.
- At your new home, unpack and hang the curtains first, to help with cold air coming in from around the windows and keep your house warmer.
- Have throws and blankets readily available, as your new house will take longer to heat up due to the doors being open during your removal.
- If your new home has a fireplace, don't use it unless it has been checked, swept, and the flue is in good working order.
- If you have pets such as certain birds, hamsters and guinea pigs, try and leave them with a friend or relative in a warm spot until you're in your new home. They do not handle cold weather well.
- Instruct your removals men to load plants which are sensitive to the cold on to the truck last, reducing the amount of time they're exposed to the cold weather.
- Have a specific box as your "first to unpack" in your new home with things such as the kettle, tea and coffee, UHT milk, slippers, cleaning supplies, and takeaway menus for your new neighbourhood.
Removal quote appointment booking service
Britannia Bradshaw can help your move go smoothly. Contact us for a free, no obligation quote, or by calling 0161 877 5555 (Manchester) or 0121 504 0966 (Birmingham & Coventry) and speak with one of our removals specialists.
How are our appointments carried out
In the current times you might prefer that we don't visit your house in person to carry out a survey. This is fully understandable and we can just as easily undertake the survey by video call, using whatever method you're comfortable with, usually FaceTime or WhatsApp.
See what our customers think of us...
Very efficient and knowledgeable
Very nice team, courteous and took real care. Used the company because of professionalism compared to others. Very efficient and knowledgeable and quote came through as promised.Jason SahotaBirmingham
Used due to your excellent reviews and length of trading. Keep doing what you’re doing, you and your staff are very good at it.Seamus HarkinManchester
Very thoughtful during the packing process
Amrik, Jamie and James were punctual and very thoughtful during the packing process. They made sure I had everything myself and the kids would need from each room before they packed and double checked school times to make sure I could get away in time. Packing was super speedy and considerately labelled. The removal process was very smooth, I didn't need to lift a finger except to lock and unlock doors. They took great care not to damage any furniture or walls. Rebuilt the beds and moved the odd item to a different location as I asked. I was amazed that they could pack and remove us between 0830 and 1445 and would not hesitate to have them remove us in the future. Thanks to all the team who helped move us into our first house.
I used the company for its packing service. Very professional.Sabrina MaratheBirmingham
Took the stress out of the move
Efficient, friendly and very organised - took the stress out of the move. The company was a recommendation from friends.Gareth JonesManchester
Complete the form below to get your UK Removals quotation
European Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your European Removals quotation
International Removals Quote Request
Complete the form below to get your International Removals quotation
Call Me Back
Complete the form below and we'll call you back to discuss your requirements
Complete the form below to get your Self Storage quotation
UK Price Guide
Complete the form below to get a Price Guide sent to you